Tuesday, September 25, 2007

One month anniversary!

Last night we celebrated our one month anniversary in Nairobi.
It's hard to believe that it's been a whole month, it's gone by so quickly. so much has happened.
my friends like to call it baptism by fire, and it's so true. the people at work speak to me in as much swahili as possible, which is hard sometimes, cause i still understand so little. Also at work, i've become known as the "midwife" because they found out how much i want to be a midwife. i've assisted in the stages leading up to labor, including learning how to tell how dilated a woman is (you can probably imagine what this entails)

On Friday we went to the Giraffe center, where you can pet giraffes, feed them, and give them kisses. check out flickr for photos!
on saturday we found an amazing second hand market, and i got some awesome shirts.
on sunday i met a traditional midwife in Kawangware (the slum i work in). she told me that one day i could come an help her out with her procedures. i never would have guessed that i would be able to experience this much midwifery. never in my wildest dreams!

anyway, just a short post to tell you that i'm alive. also check flickr, i updated!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miriamewood/

if you want email updates email me at mir (dot) wood (at) gmail (dot) com
love to you all!!!
miriam

4 comments:

Debby GW said...

I love your picture with Max!

Christy said...

what secondhand market did you go to? i went to soooo many!

ALF said...

Giraffes already were my favorite animal! I am so jealous.

rachel said...

giraffes + miriam= probably my two favorite things!